Tuesday, May 28, 2013

What Causes Osteoarthritis?

Many women experience joint pain whether it’s in their knees, hips, fingers or shoulders.  The pain might come and go, be worse in the morning, or feel aching and stiff most of the day.  The diagnosis is typically done with symptoms and possibly an x-ray that shows joint changes.  Arthritis can start as early as the late teenage years/early twenties however more than 50% of people over 65 years old exhibit symptoms of arthritis.  What causes the joints to begin to deteriorate and create arthritis?

1.       Joint injury – Research shows that those who sustained a joint early at a young age are more apt to develop arthritis in that joint at a later age.  As an example, 51% of women developed knee arthritis 12 years after tearing their anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in soccer.  Many can point back to a car accident, sports injury, broken bone or other trauma when discussing their problem area(s). 

2.       Obesity – Extra weight on the body coupled with daily activities and gravity means more load on the hips, knees, ankles and feet causing those joints to become more strained and inflamed over time plus it increases the wear and tear on the cartilage that leads to osteoarthritis. 

3.       Age – Sorry ladies, aging does take its toll on the joints considering more than 50% of people over 65 have arthritis symptoms (as stated above).  Many women will say “I didn’t have these problems in my 20’s or 30’s!” but over time joint injuries happen, diet/lifestyle choices take effect, genetics kick in, hormones change, weight fluctuates…and suddenly one day women find themselves waking up more stiff and aching.  Those of you who can still go from sitting cross-legged on the floor to a standing position without (much) assistance count yourselves lucky. It will probably change.

4.       Congenital abnormalities – If someone were born with joint problems or cartilage issues, then over time the stress on the joints will cause arthritic changes.  For example, scoliosis in the spine, or one leg shorter than the other will shift the way the body carries itself causing joint problems. 

5.       Endocrine disorders – Diabetics and those with low thyroid hormone are at risk for more joint and cartilage problems that can lead to arthritis.  Women heading into menopause often complain of more joint pain because their estrogen levels are gradually (or suddenly) decreasing. 

What does all this mean?  It means, take good care of yourself!  This is your one body.  Eat healthy, stay hydrated, maintain a healthy body weight, limit sugars and processed foods, and stretch regularly.  Thankfully there are articles here for tips to reduce the symptoms of arthritis if your joints are causing you pain on a regular basis.  Lastly, talk with your health care provider about appropriate work-up and treatment suggestions. 

References:
1.       Sofat, N., Ejindu, V., Kiely, P.  What Makes Osteoarthritis Painful?  Rheumatology. 2011;50(12):2157-2165.
2.       Roos, E.  Joint Injury Causes Knee Osteoarthritis in Young Adults.  Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2005;17(2):195-200.
3.       Kramer, P.  Prevalence and Distribution of Spinal Osteoarthritis in Women.  Spine. 2006;31(24):2843-2848.

2 comments:

Rose Jurgen said...

Here is  my testimony on how I was cured of HIV by Dr Akhigbe,with his natural herbal medicine.  on a regular basis in efforts to help others when I could. As you may know, each donation is tested.  Well, on July 6th I had a meeting with a Red Cross representative and was told that I had HIV. “What went through your mind when you heard that "Rose" Good question reader! To be honest, I thought my life was over, that I would ever find love, get married, have children or anything normal. Lucky for me I have an amazing support system.  My family supported me then I never thought that I was invincible to STD s or pregnancy or anything else parents warn their kids about. I just didn’t think about it. I was in a monogamous relationship and thought that I asked the right questions.  We even talked about marriage Scary.  During that time I was in college and donated blood on a re as well. who helped me in search of cure through the media.there we saw a good testimony of sister 'Kate' about the good work of Dr Akhigbe natural herbal medicine cure.then I copied his email address and contacted him. A good herbalist doctor with a good heart, he is kind, loving and caring. He replied back to my message and told me what to do. After a week the doctor sent me my herbal medicine and instructed me how to take it.Yes it worked very well, after drinking it I went to the hospital for another test and everything turned negative. What a wonderful testimony I can never forget in my life. Dr Akhigbe is a man who gave me a life to live happily forever so all I want you all to believe and know that cure of HIV is real and herbs is a powerful medicine and it works and heals.  Dr Akhigbe also used his herbal medicine to cure diseases like:   HERPES, DIABETES, SCABIES, HEPATITIS A/B, STROKE, CANCER, ALS, TUBERCULOSIS, ASTHMA, PENIS ENLARGEMENT, MALARIA, LUPUS, LIVER CIRRHOSIS, DEPRESSION, HIV/AIDS, EPILEPSY, BACTERIAL, DIARRHEA, HEART DISEASES, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, PARKINSON'S, ALZHEIMER, COLD URTICARIA, HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS,INSOMNIA,  BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS, SCHIZOPHRENIA, JOINT PAIN, STOMACH PAIN, CHROME DISEASES, CHLAMYDIA, INSOMNIA HEARTBURN, ,  THYROID, MAR BURG DISEASES, MENINGITIS, ARTHRITIS, BODY WEAK, SMALLPOX, DENGUE, FEVER, CURBS, CHANCRE, AND OTHERS VARIOUS DISEASES/ VIRUS.   You are there and you find yourself in any of these situations, kindly contact Dr Akhigbe now to help you get rid of it. Here is his email address:
   drrealakhigbe@gmail.com      or you can write to him on whats app with his phone number:   +2349010754824.
  My appreciation is to share his testimony for the world to know the good work Dr Akhigbe has done for me and he will do the same for you.
   

OYAMA HERBS CAN TREAT ALL KINDS OF STD/STI said...

My Experience from Uk. I was Married 4 years with infertility, my journey has ended with the help of Dr Oyama. I have joined many infertility journey blogs online just to have a comforted heart over my problem and this has helped me to find the right man to help me cure this devastating problem. As a patient of endometriosis stage 3, it was really difficult to have a child but with the help of Oyama I got natural herbs and conceived within weeks of herbal treatment and before I knew it, I was finally pregnant. I never believed it was possible after 9 years of marriage. Thanks to everyone who has helped me both mentally and emotionally through this journey Oyama solved my problem with his natural herbs and I promise to manifest his work to other people and friends. WhatsApp Message/Call him on +2348108264684 and Email Oyama at: droyamasolutiontemple@gmail.com